These unicorn cookies are not just adorable to look and delicious to taste, they hold a secret inside waiting to be revealed! Have fun making these unicorn cookies by adding your own magic touches. My children love breaking them open to see what’s inside. These cookies are perfect for parties and favours. Here’s how to make them…
Ingredients for the cookies:
Makes 7 large, unicorn cookies (roll the cookie dough thinner or use a smaller cutter shape to make more)
200g soft salted butter
400g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
200g golden castor sugar
1 x large egg, lightly beaten
2 x tsp vanilla essence
For the decorating and filling:
50g yellow sugar paste
200g white sugar paste
A little icing for sticking the cookies together (use any type of icing)
Black edible colour pen for the eyes
Red food colouring for the cheeks
Edible gold dust spray and gold paint
Sprinkles of your choice for the decoration and surprise filling
Warm strawberry jam for sticking on the sugar paste heart and sprinkle decorations
Let’s make Unicorn Cookies!
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla essence, then mix in the egg until just combined.
- Add the flour to the mixture and mix together until you have a nice firm ball of cookie dough. Add a little water if it’s too dry or flour if it’s too sticky.
- Flour your work surface to prevent the mixture from sticking and roll your dough out to your desired thickness… (I made my dough around 3mm thick as requested by my children, but you might want to make it half of that).
- Once your dough is rolled out, use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut your cookies out. Remember that each unicorn cookie requires 3 cookies with one cut out in the centre using a smaller heart-shaped cutter.
- Bake in the oven for around 10-12 minutes. Ovens vary, so just make sure they are golden brown and springy to the touch.
Assembling your cookies
- Ice the back of the cookies that have a cut-out, then stick them on to full heart cookies.
- Fill the cut-out area of each with sprinkles of your choice. Ice the back edges of the remaining cookies and stick over the top. Now your unicorn cookies should all be assembled with the secret sprinkles inside.
- Roll out the white sugar paste to around 1-2mm thick then cut out heart shapes (one for each unicorn cookie). Use jam to stick the sugar paste heart to the top cookie. This is now the unicorn’s face.
- Roll out two little balls of the white sugar paste, then shape into ears. Use icing to stick them onto the unicorn face.
- To make the horn, roll the yellow sugar paste into a triangle shape, then slowly twist it up to a point. Use icing to stick the horn on. If it won’t stick, use a cocktail stick to temporarily hold it in place. Leave to dry for a few hours so it’s easier to decorate.
- Let’s decorate the Unicorn Cookies!
- Paint the horn and ear inner with gold edible paint.
- Use a small brush to paint on the unicorn cheeks using red food colouring.
- Stick the sprinkles on with jam.
- Draw on the eyes using edible pen.
- Add a final touch of magic by spraying edible gold dust over the top.
Making these adorable Unicorn Cookies does take time… but well worth the effort. Watch my video down below to see me make them…