Let me show you how I made these Natural Christmas Decorations using bits of bark, moss and feathers. One of the best things about living in the countryside is the endless supply of free craft materials. I love using natural resources for my projects because firstly… it’s free, and secondly, it’s right here on my doorstep. I can’t possibly walk past a beautiful pheasant’s feather without picking it up. I love natural colours and textures and like my home to reflect the beautiful countryside.
Here’s how I made my Natural Christmas Decorations…
Let’s make Natural Christmas Decorations…
- Artificial mistletoe
- Gold stars
To make the Bark Decoration:
- Break some dry bark into small pieces.
- Use a hot glue gun to stick the bark to the bauble starting from the bottom and working around to the top. Slightly overlap the pieces where possible.
- Tie some twine into a bow, then glue it to the top.
- Attach a length of twine to the top to hang it with.
For the Feathered Decoration:
- Start by gathering together feathers roughly the same height as the bauble. Apply a little dot of hot glue to each end of the feather and stick it over the bottom. Use a lollipop stick to press it on so you don’t burn your fingers.
- Use a hot glue gun to carefully glue on each feather (tips pointing towards the bottom) Glue them on one at a time going around the bauble overlapping them to hide any gaps. Don’t glue down the end tips of the feathers.
- Glue some artificial mistletoe to the top.
- Tie on some twine to hang it with.
For the Moss decoration:
- Apply a dot of hot glue to the bauble, then press on some moss using a lollipop stick or similar to save from getting glue on your fingers. Continue this until the whole bauble is covered in moss. Trim off any excess moss with scissors.
- Wrap twine around the centre of the bauble about 5-6 times.
- Lay a small twig on the top of the bauble, then tie the two ends of twine over the twig into a knot.
- Glue three little stars on to a small length of twine, then glue it from one end to the bottom of the bauble, so it hangs down.
- Finally tie on some twine to hang it with.
To make the Twig Tree Decoration:
- Break twigs into six different lengths.
- Lay your twig pieces one above the other, getting smaller in size towards the top.
- Snap off a little piece of twig for the tree top and a bit for the trunk.
- Glue both sides of a button and attach between each twig, with the buttons getting smaller toward the top.
- Finally, glue on the tree top, trunk, star decoration and finally some twine for hanging the tree.